What's the deal with the early 70's 860 GT?

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
jmag05
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

What's the deal with the early 70's 860 GT?

Post by jmag05 »

I am thinking about purchasing an early 70's Ducati and have been doing some research online. I am looking at 1972-1975 750s and 860s. It seems like there is a negative connotation towards the 860 and they are not as sought after as the 750.

Any input or opinions on this?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people love the 860 squarecase styling, some people love the 750 roundcase styling........ Other people are all about the Darmah, others only the 900SS.

Myself, I love em all. Especially bevel drives naturally ;)

Your wallet should open in the direction of your heart, who cares what other people think about which bike YOU like...
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Rick F
Mach 3

860's

Post by Rick F »

That was pretty well said Steve!

No need to for my 2cents worth.

( but the 750 roundcases are nicer :lol: )

Rick
Spub
Mach 3

Post by Spub »

For some reason the 860GTs are the Boo Radleys of the Bevel Kingdom; they are related, but its best to keep them locked in a closet and kept from public view. For the most part they are the same bike underneath, so it has to be the styling, which is not as attractive to most as the Sport and Supersport bevels, and even the early 750GTs. Personally, I think if you can get a nice, original 860GT in decent shape, I would grab it. I have seen such bikes go for under 7K, a bargain basement price for a bevel.
1982 Laverda 180 JOTA, 1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona, 2010 KTM Adventure 990, 1974 Laverda SFC #17188
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Spub wrote:For the most part they are the same bike underneath, so it has to be the styling, which is not as attractive to most as the Sport and Supersport bevels, and even the early 750GTs.
Hmm ... in my experience, not quite so.

I've owned a 860GT, a MHR and now a Darmah SSD and you do need to be a little cautious of the 860!

Read Ian Falloon and he'll tell you the story of the crankpins for one. The ignition system on the 860 is not so good either, delivering a viscious step in the advance which some people have associated with big-end failure.

And from an owner's point of view, the 860 has some nasty bits of so-called ancillary 'engineering'. The CEV switch gear leaks and fails. The engine stop device is unreliable. The gear lever is aluminium and breaks. The instrument holder is crappy plastic and splits. And the ignition circuit runs thru the main fuse so, when you have the headlamp on, an indicator flashing and touch the rear brake, the fuse blows and the engine stops. Not so funny when you have a truck 3 feet of your rear wheel ... And don't even look at the electric start version!

(And that's just what I remember from 30 years ago!)

Actually, I quite like the styling :-D

Ciao

Craig
darren nix
Diana

Post by darren nix »

trying not to get to far off the track from the original subject, but why is the 860 engine, the gt and gts, such a pig to kick over, even with full charge on a battery and proper carb set up and good fuel, if it is down to the ignition system what are the options available, it,s a great bike to use for a nice lazy type of a sunday ride, just don,t stop
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I had an 860GT for several years and many kilometres. Its true that the switchgear is rubbish, I replaced mine with a Suzuki item. The voltage regulators are poor, but this is a common problem for most of the bevel twins and is easily replaced. They are hard to start but a two-into-one exhaust system and K and N filters made mine a first or second kick machine. Lots of people didn't like the body style but this can be easily changed although it does tend to grow on you. The valve guides were prone to early wear but can be changed to better ones. I replaced the original fusebox with in-line fuses.

On the positive side they are powerful, great handling machines that are much underrated. I have seen them take a lot of abuse - overrevving, sustained high speeds in hot weather, motor tuning - and just shrug it off. I found the Ducati Electronica ignition system to be very reliable contrary to popular opinion. I moved the gear lever to the right side which is easy to do and greatly improves the shifting. They are also easier to maintain as setting the valve clearances is done by screw-type adjusters.

They didn't sell well when they first came out and the factory was forced to flog them off at low prices to stay solvent. This meant that people bought them who didn't appreciate them and ran them into the ground.

Mine was great after I worked out the details. Perhaps the factory should have done this rather than the owner, but most Italian bikes of the period had similar shortcomings. I just helped a friend sort out a Harley-Davidson SS250 (ex-Aermacchi pre-Cagiva) and a lot of the electrical equipment looked strangely familiar.
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
cshannon
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: What's the deal with the early 70's 860 GT?

Post by cshannon »

jmag05 wrote:I am thinking about purchasing an early 70's Ducati and have been doing some research online. I am looking at 1972-1975 750s and 860s. It seems like there is a negative connotation towards the 860 and they are not as sought after as the 750.

Any input or opinions on this?
They're not my favourite Duke but having said that how could you not like this? ....

http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1473

Restoration can be a wonderful thing.

Chris
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

For some reason the 860GTs are the Boo Radleys of the Bevel Kingdom; they are related, but its best to keep them locked in a closet and kept from public view.
Nothing like a 46 year old To Kill A Mockingbird reference to liven up a bevel discussion.
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

The 'negatives' associated with the Ducati Elettrotecnica ignition also apply to the SS; it doesn't seem to put folks off them too much ;)

Replacement ignitions are available, but the German ones get rid of the flywheel, so no more electric start :cry:

I've never had a GTS, but friends who have found them to be a real mile-eater - very long-legged.

If one came my way I'd buy it, and if the styling doesn't suit, how about pimping it up like a 750GT?

Cheers,

Andy
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Whats not to love here? Image lifted from Ian's website http://www.ianfalloon.com.au/
dewjantim
Mariana

Post by dewjantim »

cafe*racer wrote:Whats not to love here? Image lifted from Ian's website http://www.ianfalloon.com.au/
Oh my, an 860 with a round case motor :lol: . This wouldn't be the factory special which was raced in Austrailia by the importer there. The one which Ducati said was a production bike when it was actually a race bike prototype ;) ......Dewey.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

as far as kenny blake knew there was another 199 of them in italy somewhere :-D
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

GTS860

Post by Lumpy »

I`ve got a GTS I bought in 1984 and still have to this day. I have an 82 900SS also and for a couple years now keep saying one of them has to go. The SS is worth the cash, very original, primo condition, 20k on the clock, seals on the cases and exhaust . But take it for a ride down the shop to get fuel. What a cantankerous swine. Legs folded up under my buttocks, can`t look over my shoulder cause of the Magura clip on`s and the way I lay on it, steering lock to lock of about 8.3 degrees. But get outa town, open her up down a twisty country road and it all makes poetic sense. I could never sell you I mutter to myself inside my helmet, the GTS has to go.
Then get the ever trusty GTS out for a spin. What a happy friendly capable motor cycle by comparison. Goes and sounds like a Ducati should, handles and even sort of stops (that piece of crap drum brake on the back). Happy in traffic, happy on the open road. So after a ride on that, there`s no way I could sell you. The SS has to go, and the whole cycle repeats itself. One of them really does need to go, I can`t justify them both but the last one I rode is the one that has to stay. This has been going on for the last 2 years and really does`nt look like being resolved. The up side is I guess they are appreaciating in value while I decide.
An interesting little tid-bit about the GTS. Some years back she developed end float on the crank shaft. I had to split the cases so I went to town. New pistons and rings, got some SS desmo heads, 36mm carbs. Opened the cases and both the thrust washers were assembled on one side of the crank instead of one either side of each rod. I know she was a virgin because I cut the seal off the crank cases. The crank got pressed apart because one rod was chewing into the crankshft cheek due to it`s thrust washer being on the other side. I replaced the big end anyhow.
3rd ignition, 2nd regulator and a complete re-wire. But does she go?????
Youbetcha.........
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

cshannon
That green 860 restoration appeared in our 10th edition of ITALIAN MOTORCYCLES last June and it made me rethink my views on that particular series. I definately disliked them when they first appeared, but it goes to show what a good restoration can do. Also, especially when the owner is Phil Aynsley ( well known in Australia for his photography ) who had the same point of view that I had.
I have talked to a few people since who have also changed their minds as well.You really had to give them away 10 years ago. Lets watch the prices go up now.
Ian

Return to “The Rumour Mill”