Guzzi Guy has some Bevelhead questions

General discussion and gossip about Ducati and other Moto related issues - post your non-technical FAQs, comments & questions here. Most Moto related chit chat that doesn't really fit into one of the specific catagories should go in this area.
Turin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Guzzi Guy has some Bevelhead questions

Post by Turin »

A friend of mine told me about late 70's (square case)900 Ducati. It's a black and gold Darmah with a half fairing, and 40mm carbs. The things been sitting garaged for years, and I feel I need to rescue it. (my last Duc was a 87 Alazzura that was highly modified for racing...) What I want to know is, other than the superficial stuff, whats the difference between a 900SS, a 900SS Darmah, and a 900SSD? Frame differences? Suspension differences? Weight? Do their motors share the same state of tune? I was told that the differences (especially handling) are night and day. Also I've seen a lot of NCR decals on this sight. What does that stand for? Thanks for any info You all can give me.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

misc stuff

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Turin,

NCR ~ "Nepoti, Caracci, Ricci" until Ricci left the threesome then it became "Nepoti Caracci Racing"

These guys were the 'Race' behind Ducati in the beginning. The hired guns who transformed the factory stock Ducati bikes into racebikes before Ducati Corsa came into play. Rino Caracci is still has his shop in Italy from what I hear. NCR is still a player in World Superbike.

All of the 860/900 motors are built up around the same general idea and have similar parts, characteristics and power. But, there are differences. You can look in the ENGINE section of this site to see the main differences as topic headings.

Differences are outlined in Mr Falloon's excellent DUCATI TWINS RESTORATION GUIDE which is now out of print and difficult to obtain. However, Mr Falloon has another book called ORINAL DUCATI Sport & Super Sport which is an updated version + and I feel is a VERY good book with all color pictures etc.

It would take way too much time and space to expound all the differences, but they are mostly subtle besides styling. Not what I would call night and day on the models you mention.

Having ridden Darmah, SSD Darmah, 900 SS they are all good in their own way. Get the book and read it. Go get that bike. If you don;t want it afterall, please hook me up with the current owner and I'll go try to work it out to bring it home myself. Really.

I promise to take good care of it..... I love these bikes.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Turin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Turin »

Thanks a million! Ian Falloon? I'm off to Borders. If I give her a peek, she'll probably end up in my garage. Neglected Italian bikes seem to follow me home :roll: Great website!!! Hopefully I'll be able to contibute in the near future. Thanks!!!

Return to “The Rumour Mill”