Single seat fitment on a 1981 900ss

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Single seat fitment on a 1981 900ss

Post by Oz Duck »

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me with some info.

I am in the process of restoring my 1981 900ss, these came with the not so pretty dual seats that extended all the way over the tail light. The seat base is secured at the back by fitting over two vertically mounted threaded studs that are welded to the subframe.

I would like to replace this seat with the more classic looking single seat, this will involve cutting off the vertical studs and welding two brackets slightly further back onto the subframe. These brackets will be threaded to take the two seat securing screws, there is just one problem..........I don't have the dimensions to accurately place and weld the brackets onto the subframe with. The reproduction seat base that I bought does not have the holes pre-drilled, so I cannot use it as a template.

Can some kind soul please provide me with these dimensions? I would suggest maybe measuring back from the centre of the rear shock mounting bolt to a point vertically below the screw that secures the seat to the frame.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

seat

Post by BevHevSteve »

Joe, On my 900SS, both the single seat AND the dual seat use the same 2 mounting bosses. The single seat uses some pretty short screws, the same length as the ferring mount screws, the dual seat screws are about twice as long. I think you need to re-think your plan of action....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Seat

Post by Oz Duck »

Hi Steve

On the post 1981 900ss they redesigned the dual seat assembly, it was now much longer than the old dual seat and extended to over the tail light. Similar but not exactly the same as the S2 model.

Take a look at the sales brochure and you will see what I mean, note also that you cannot see any mounting screws for the rear part of the seat:

http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/81_900_ss.jpg

Once the seat is removed (seat lock was at rear of the seat), the seat base is left behind. The rear part of the seat base sits on two vertically mounted threaded studs welded to the frame. These will have to be removed in order to fit the single seat (as they will foul on my new single seat) and new brackets welded to hold the two securing screws to.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Joe
Oz Duck
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Seat

Post by Oz Duck »

....they say a picture is worth a thousand words lol

Click to enlarge

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”