MHR - fit sidecovers to no-sidecover model

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Dob8604
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

MHR - fit sidecovers to no-sidecover model

Post by Dob8604 »

I have an '81 MHR. Mine has the exposed battery no side-cover setup. I've been given side-covers for it from a later model and would like to fit them. The bike has no mounting points on the frame and the covers have two screw holes. Any ideas how I can do it.
Note: this model has the regulator next to the battery not under the headlight. Will the regulator overheat with side-covers fitted?
The covers are the solid (no slots) types.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: MHR - fit sidecovers to no-sidecover model

Post by Peter Mille »

I wouldn't use them, Mike Hailwood didn't have them after all...
Dob8604
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Dob8604 »

Yes I understand that from a purist point of view I should leave it without side-covers.
In northern Australia it is so hot in summer I take the bottom fairing off for 6 months of the year too (even though Mike Hailwood probably never did).

Perhaps if nobody has a solution to fitting the side-covers could someone please post a picture of how the factory fitted side-covers are fastened to the bike so I can perhaps fabricate something similar.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

You have to weld mounting points onto the frame..
That's what the factory did to later models MHR anyway.
( I removed those points of my '85 frame....)
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

If it get's so hot overthere downunder, plenty reason NOT to fit them !!
Now the hot air can easily stream out behind the cilinder.
Covers fitted You get a nice hotspot, heating Your battery, regulator and carb.
For Your cold (15°-20° ???) winters You could try some of those little plastic clamps where they fit tripmeters onto bicycles.
Still, I wouldn't fit any, took the covers of the SS, a bit of grinding and fresh paint and it STILL is a nice bike.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

If you must, for each side, I'd make a pair of small, aluminum or stainless plates drilled with the appropriate sized holes and a slot for a red plastic tie wrap to mount each frame tube or maybe tabs top and bottom and two ties; no welding and easily removable without a mark afterwards should you change your mind. My 81 MHR used to get so hot in UK summers that I ran straight Castrol 50 in summer, eventually adding an oil cooler with a half-flow system to keep it happy.

As with the others, I much prefer the look of the MHR without the side panels but each to his or her own.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”