tank badge removal

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Yosemite
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

tank badge removal

Post by Yosemite »

Hi
the bodywork on my 76, 860 gt is in need of repainting, but there is a problem, a mi9nor one I hope, how do I remove the tank badges?
From what I remember there were two pins which simply pushed into two clips in the badge recess, and there is no access to these from the front, and It looks to me the only way is to lever these and knowing my luck something apart from my bank balance is going to end up broken, so if anyone can suggest a non destructive method I would be grateful.
thanks
Yosemite
860gt
yamfj1200
guzzi750breva
yamfjr400
Macdesmo
750 GT

Re: tank badge removal

Post by Macdesmo »

The badge will have to be levered off the mounting bracket underneath. Just work carefully and alternate from top to bottom and left to right of the badge. Make sure the badge lifts evenly. I recall that there were some retaining clips in the mounting hole. A bit like valve collets. So have some rag underneath to catch them as you lever the badges off as they are small and easily lost but not easily replaced. I also recall that on the 750 GTs that I restored 25 years ago, that you will need to clear new paint from the mounting holes as the fit needs to be just right. Good luck.
Ian
Yosemite
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: tank badge removal

Post by Yosemite »

thanks Ian
as I thought
https://store.bevelheaven.com/Body-Dres ... Tank-Badge
think these are the clips,will try to pry the badges off this week hopefully wont do too much damage to badges in the process
Yosemite
860gt
yamfj1200
guzzi750breva
yamfjr400

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”