Rubber gasket for Sport side covers

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Slowpoke28787
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Rubber gasket for Sport side covers

Post by Slowpoke28787 »

I am restoring a 74 Sport and when using the new rubber trim gasket that keeps the side cover from rubbing the frame the holes will need to be filled re-drilled. Is the current material available thicker than original or is this common? Also, when painting the side covers is there replacement mesh available so if the painter ruins it trying to remove it since it gets painted silver? It is currently fiberglassed in.

Falloon's restoration guide says this gasket material is not supposed to be used on the seat base even though it is sold for that application in a kit? Your take?

TIA Daron
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: Rubber gasket for Sport side covers

Post by BevHevSteve »

filled and re-drilled???

um,........ no - don't do that.

If you gut the rubber trim from me, use the narrow edge out and if the wider edge interferes with the screw holes, trim the RUBBER.

I just installed this on my 73 sport didn't need to trim anything.

The back of my seat sits on the frame so I initially put just a short piece around the back to keep it from vibrating etc. I thought it looked like crap so I put it all the way round the seat. Thin side out again. Looks good to me.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Slowpoke28787
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Rubber gasket for Sport side covers

Post by Slowpoke28787 »

Thanks Steve, I think the issues with mine are that the side covers I have may not be original to the bike since if I use the existing holes the side covers are slammed up against the frame leaving NO room for the gasket. The next issue is that the material that came with the collection of parts may not be correct. It looks right but is thick to the point it would not allow the screw holes to meet their target. I'll order yours tomorrow with a few other items.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”