750GT Fiberglass tank filler neck

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
thessler3
Mariana

750GT Fiberglass tank filler neck

Post by thessler3 »

I am getting ready to seal my fiberglass tank and would like to remove the filler neck. The gas cap is easily removable, but I cannot tell if the filler neck is removable or not. My parts manual is for a '74 and does not show the '73 tanks. Can anyone help me with this question? :*<:
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: 750GT Fiberglass tank filler neck

Post by jakebrake »

I had my 73 Sport tank resealed by a shop that builds custom bikes and tanks, and they seal all their custom tanks. They said they media-blasted inside, inspected with a borescope then applied 2 coats of Caswell. They did not remove the filler neck but assured me that neck and fuel taps were coated. It cost a lot but I didn't want to do a poor job and ruin the tank. It's been about year and no problems so far.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

Thanks JakeBrake

Can you tell me where you had the tank cleaned and sealed?
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jakebrake »

I had my Sport tank sealed by Bare Bones Chopper near Chicago. Andrew Jones 708.826.5343. Make sure the petcock threads are clean, I ran a tap through mine. I think he puts lubed screws up through the petcock holes to protect the threads.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

Thanks Jakebrake

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”