'75 900ss screen trim question

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
radecal
Parallel Twin

Re: '75 900ss screen trim question

Post by radecal »

[Peter Mille wrote:- » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am
When I bought my new Mille, back in 1985, it came with black instead of red frontforks, also the dustcaps on the frontfork were not there, the factory was short of them....!!]

Agree the 1985 Mille should have had red forks and red triple clamps. Sounds like you got the parts bin job.
The first run Milles in 1984 came with the black forks and triple clamps but had the fork dust covers. The S2 Milles had the internal seal on the forks though.
Regards,
RAD
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

As per my earlier post - here is another eBay auction for a NOS example of the proper screen trim: item number 170946644595 (said to be for 1977 to 1982, same seller as before but not so cheap now!). Inflation ...?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

notanumber wrote:Inflation ...?
Or greed? Or, "Correct pricing in the currrent market conditions"? All depends on where you stand, of course.

I've noticed he's put all his prices up from when he first started selling. Probably couldn't believe how much some people will pay for stuff :shock:

Ciao

Craig
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

That's a very pretty bike - sounds absolutely wonderful. Where and why are you in Poland?
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Craig in France wrote:
Or greed? Or, "Correct pricing in the currrent market conditions"?
Definitely greed :shock: . I see he's now asking $3,250 for a SS fuel tank ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-Bevel- ... 27cd3ee319
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Craig in France wrote:
Or greed? Or, "Correct pricing in the currrent market conditions"? All depends on where you stand, of course.

I've noticed he's put all his prices up from when he first started selling. Probably couldn't believe how much some people will pay for stuff :shock:

Ciao

Craig
Thanks for this, but I agree that the prices this guy is asking are just crazy, I'm all for a "market economy" but I certainly won't be tempted by a half a metre of plastic trim at 200 euro! It might be original, but it was still ugly!
I am actually very near Rome (the sellers location) at the moment and feel tempted to visit him and physically explain the benefits of not marking stuff up by thousands of percent. I can understand that rarity will always raise prices as will small run re-manufacture, but I think it's up to us, the restorers and Ducati nuts to maintain a sense of perspective and refuse to pay that kind of money. I actually don't need the trim now that i've more or less confirmed the bike was manufactured without it, but I will now really make an effort to find a supplier and offer it for sale at cost price, and let 'market forces' sort this guy out.
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

TomGC61 wrote:That's a very pretty bike - sounds absolutely wonderful. Where and why are you in Poland?
hi, thanks for the compliment, I can't tell you what a thrill it was to hear those Contis barking again after 25 odd years, and even better when I gave it it's head on the open road. The engine was rebuilt to a fanatically high standard by Nigel Lacey in the U.K. so he is mostly to blame for the regular shattering of the calm of our peacefull neighbourhood.
The Poland thing came about because my parents are Polish and when my employers discovered I spoke Polish in the early '90s, I got sent there to set up a business for them. The paintwork, chroming and cadmium plating on the bike as well as lots of small one-off machining were also done there, there's a considerable engineering skill base still left in Poland so it's a great place to do a resto. How about 20 euro for a complete, perfect, re-upholster of the seat with all new materials!
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

860Project.jpg
I'd bite your hand off at that price! Have just started on a 860 project which I'm hoping will eventually look and sound as nice as yours. Lots to do as you can see!
Last edited by TomGC61 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

By the way - you can buy the RB stickers on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-BEVEL- ... 337df908ab
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Hi,
Your 860 looks tidy enough to start with, what are you planning to do with it? If you really want to go the '900ss' route then Mario Sassi at ORSP has complete newly manufactured frames and almost all of the ancillary bits that make a 900ss but it won't be easy or cheap. I noticed in another of your posts that you were looking for a 750 sport dual seat. I have exactly that seat, robbed from a friend's sport back in the '70s in order to transport my girlfriend (now wife of some 30 years) to Italy and the south of France on the ss. I'm not selling it but if you want photos, dimensions etc then just ask. In the same vein, I repaired it years ago, sewing in a new rear hump panel without the 'Ducati' logo, and now need to re-upholster the whole thing. I'd like to find a good photo so I can replicate the original lettering, so if you find one, please let me know.
cheers
'75 900 SS
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

Apropos of the above , here is a pic of the ss taken about '79-'80 with the dual seat fitted and after a marathon cleaning session, judging by the shininess 8) . It has the Ballanti Roberto screen fitted and lacks any oily bits sticking out, so was probably just post the first of many re-builds... the first pic shows it as normally used, in a French ferry port , returning from the Bol d'Or.
Attachments
600 pixels wide  Ducati 900 SS Ferry Port Brandy Bottle.jpg
600 pixels wide Ducati 900 SS Dual Seat.jpg
'75 900 SS
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

Good of you to post those pictures. I am very interested in getting a dual seat made as it seems nigh on impossible to find an original any time soon. I did ask Tony O'Connor at Eldorado in Australia if he could do one for me but he's reluctant without the physical bike and mine being a modified 860 frame. He will make me a new cover. Really fascinating to see yours. The only other I've seen is in the 750 Bible. I think very few were ever fitted. I may yet trouble you for the details if I go that route which is what I would much prefer to do so thanks for the offer.

The bike's at 'Made in Italy' and they are confident that it will turn out well. I'm going to be careful about trying to get it too close to a 900SS rep as that would probably be a disappointment but I think it will be a very lovely bike when all is finished. I will be posting pics as I go. I have quite a shopping list.

Tom
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

TomGC61 wrote:By the way - you can buy the RB stickers on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-BEVEL- ... 337df908ab
I keep them in stock for $11 usd
https://store.bevelheaven.com/stickers- ... o-sticker/
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
TomGC61
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by TomGC61 »

Shipping cost to Europe?
1977 860GT to 900SS Spec
1973 750 GT
BevHevSteve