900ss side panel mounting brackets.

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
chas b
Mariana

900ss side panel mounting brackets.

Post by chas b »

Hi all,

I am in the process of restoring my heavily modified SS ( http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... php?t=3086) back to standard condition. As you can see from the pics I cut off the side panel brackets to get the NCR look. I now need to fabricate replacements and have a question. When the side panels are mounted do they sit against the bracket/nut or is there a gap and the panel just sits hard against the frame tubes?
If there is a gap how big is it? I need some idea so that I can determine the position of the new brackets on the frame.

Regards,

Chas.
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

On mine they sit hard against the frame tubes hence the need for rubber trim around the edges. I did put rubber grommets over the mounting screws but inside the side covers which then snug up against the mounting brackets. These hold the screws in place and make mounting the panels easier plus the cushion the panels against the brackets.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
chas b
Mariana

Post by chas b »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. That's great, work can continue :-D

Regards,

Chas
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

if this were my bike, I would install the ruber trim around the sidecovers, slip the mount bolts through the new plastic washers then through the sidecovers, then slip a rubber reinforced washer over screw then thread and tighten up the screw into the captive nut already snapped into your already fabricated brackets. Next hold the assembly up against the frame and where the trim touches the frame, put another piece of trim or something else that acts as a stand off over the trim - holding the sidecover a bit away from the frame - now mark your bracket locations and tack weld them all in place. Remove those extra bits of trim and adjust the brackets as required so nothing touches the frame anwyere, and weld them in place.

I would not want to have the sidecovers hard up against the frame which would put a bind on the fiberglass sidecovers possibly leading up to spider cracking etc. But that's just me.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Sumfun4me
Mariana

Post by Sumfun4me »

he's an ideas man, that Steve!

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”