Help needed with 78 Darmah stripes, width and spacing

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Ducless
Mariana

Help needed with 78 Darmah stripes, width and spacing

Post by Ducless »

Like the title says, I could use a little help with the stripes for my Darmah. I bought the Darmah with a custom paint job from the early 80's. I would like to do a stock style paint job, but I do not have the original stripes to take measurements off of. So are there any Darmah owners out there who wouldn't mind taking 5 minutes and measuring the stripes on thier bike for me? All I need is the two different widths and the spacing between them.

Thanks,
Dave
garryc
Parallel Twin

tiger stripes

Post by garryc »

Dave, I bought a complete set of decals including the stripes for my 78 Darmah from
http://www.cutgrafix.com/Ducati%20OEM.htm
probably worth a fortune if you are buying them with lowly US dollars though
My stripes from the top down
stripe 3.8mm
gap of 3.2 mm
wide stripe of 44.65mm
gap of 3.2mm
3.8 mm
Ducless
Mariana

Post by Ducless »

Perfect! Thank you very much.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I think the answer depends...

I think the the black and gold was done with transfers and the line sizes basically consistant. On the 77 and 78 red and white (which i know well and have owned for 30+ years), the "fat" white lines are painted. Also the fat white line is surrounded by a black plastic pin stripe. The thin white lines are also originally plastic pin stripe. Being hand painted, the fat line widths were variable on both the tank and the seat base (and particularly the seat base where they were wider to match the tank stripe and then narrowed until 20 cm along the seat.

Here's a photo of an original R&W tank for example that has never been on a bike...

This is my bike and has been repainted from original, but all the stripes were traced and reapplied in the same dimensions.

Kev

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”