Repairing a fibreglass tank

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
machten
MHR / S2

Repairing a fibreglass tank

Post by machten »

I'm going to repair a friend's 750 sport fibreglass tank. It has a hairline crack allong the bottom edge of the seam where the base joins the tank wall that seeps fuel. I've got plenty of fibreglassing experience from my surfing days, but the crack is so fine, I'm not sure about being able to get resin into it to seal it.

Anyone got any experience/advice on this? Other less viscous sealant products? What effect if any does the impregnation of fuel into the fibreglass over the years have on binding to it?
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

I would put a structral patch on the outside and seal the inside of the tank with something to be sure that the fibres are sealed from the fuel.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Rather than disturbing the hair line fracture why not just tread it with Por15
http://www.ppc.au.com/coatings_sealer.htm it is made for stuff just like this
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Thanks for the replies. por13 seems to be aimed at metal tanks. Does it work with fibreglass too?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I think they are all based on metal tanks but because it is flexible it should work on glass as well
My glass tank has been done before I bought the bike for the same reason I think this is what they used but I'm not sure on that http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

All good info, but heres a spanner in the works, what about a sealer that is clear? I need to do my tank (NCR with fuel strip) and certainly dont want a grey colour covering this! Any ideas??
Appreciate any feedback as it must be done soon before i grt problems
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

My TT2 Pantah replica ended up with a melted glass tank,I was speaking to the Gowy blokes and they recon the new tanks dont do this,maybe coat the tank with what they are made from now,I went back to a metal TL tank and am staying with it.Worth a phone call,if you get a good answer pass it on.
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Aussiess wrote:what about a sealer that is clear? I need to do my tank (NCR with fuel strip) and certainly dont want a grey colour covering this!
Straight fibreglass resin should do the job;
Mix some up with hardner , pour it in a roll it round as per any tank sealer.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

That will seal a crack but my old Fiberglass TT2 tank melted with the use of modern fuel and if your attempting to seal a glass tank it would be useful to kill 2 birds,seal any crack and protect it from the modern soup but still allow the clear strip to work.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I had another look for a product as I might be sealing a new glass tank soon and this stuff works on fiberglass and is well priced
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Caswell works GREAT and is clear so your stripe will still be there and you can still see through it. I would not use anything else on my glass tank
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Thanks guys. Good info. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”