Vehicle Identification Tag Questions

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jumpjg
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Vehicle Identification Tag Questions

Post by jumpjg »

I have a '74 Sport under restoration. The original Vehicle ID Tag was destroyed many years ago but I have a blank replacement that needs stamping. My questions are as follows...

1) Is the correct size for the charicters 1/8" (.125")?

2) I recall my machine was made in July of 1974. For date of manufacture, should it read July 1974, 07-74 or some other format?

3) I recall that the VIN should read the same as the engine number, not the frame number. The title lists the engine number at the VIN. I once found the reference in Faloon's book "Ducati Twins Restoration Guide" but I can't seem to find it now. Any help in finding this or another reference that stipulates the engine numbers were used as VINs would be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
Joe in St Louis
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I checked out the one on my 900SS. The characters are about 4 mm high, the production date is stamped 11/78 with wide spaces between the 11, the slash and the 78. Underneath this is stamped MODEL 1978 and the VIN number is that of the frame.

Mine is actually registered as a 1979 rather than a '78 and the frame number is used as the identifier.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

when you stamp the thing don't do it too neat.... These were hand done and NOT straight or uniform.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”