Headlight lens stone chip repair

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
machten
MHR / S2

Headlight lens stone chip repair

Post by machten »

I have come upon a JOD Duplo headlight that has a small "bullseye" stone chip in the lens. It has a very fine hole in the outside surface - less than 1mm, then craters out on the inside to about 10mm. Has anyone had any success in attempting to have these repaired? What process did they use?

I've spoken to a windscreen repair mob here in Perth, Western Australia, and they say their system won't work if the hole is all the way through as the system relies on being able to estalish a vacuum - so for example they can only fix windscreen damage that doesn't go though all layers of lamination.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

lamination is the key word-laminated windscreens can be repaired
duke headlights are not laminated
i think your glass is non-repairable
what bike do you want to put it on?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

If you still have the glass from the chip and are able to separate the lens than try this it works well
Get some masking tape and make yourself a small handle and tape to the chip so that you can grab the chip,
clean the hole and chip with metho and use some interior mirror adhesive don't buy the cheap ones they don't work as well and will color after a while go to a ford dealer and buy some
make sure you know how the chip will sit in the crater and lines up in the hole again masking tape to one edge so that you can center the chip and align it ,
after you have done that use a pen and mark the tape on the glass and one the handle on the chip turn the glass over and tape over the hole now add some mirror adhesive where the glass has its crater make sure you line up your marks as you will only get one go at this ,Push and hold for 30sec's and your done

take some pictures as you go and post them

Good luck with it , it worked for me many years ago
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

The headlight is (potentially!) a spare for my 74 Sport. If I can get it into acceptable condition, I'll use it as my runner and keep my current one aside.

I also had a chat with a glass blower artist to see if anything was possible in that direction. The issue for her is that they don't know the makeup of the glass, so results would be unpredicatable, and maybe even explosive, so they wouldn't touch it.

I'll have a look at some acrylic options, I guess. Thanks for the replies.

Kev
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

i just took my headlight apart,the white gasket that sits between the lens and the rim is rock hard
are replacements available?
jads
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

what diameter , as Giovanni has some but it all depends on what size
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

diameter is 185mm-who is giovanni?
jads
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Have a look in the traders section in Steve's site , check Steve's shop first if you have no joy there I will paste the link
jads
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by jads »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:Have a look in the traders section in Steve's site , check Steve's shop first if you have no joy there I will paste the link
dont understand any of that
jads
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

check your PM

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”