Triple trees

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Triple trees

Post by nottonight68 »

I am trying to get the centre shaft out of bottom triple tree. Underneath looks like a circlip which I cant seem to get out. Do I need to get this out and how or does the shaft press out the other way?
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Why do you need to get this apart?
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

I need to get the bottom bearing off and repaint the triple tree. I remember years ago pressing the shaft out for bearing renewal but cant remember which way it pressed out or how to get the circlip out. I could probably paint it with the shaft in but how to change the bearing. Anybody done this recently?
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

I tried to press mine out but gave up after going up to about 4 ton in the press. Decided to cut off the old bearing and replace with a new one. You will need to make a special slug to press out the races in the headstock. Will post a pic of what I made when I get a chance.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

more forks

Post by nottonight68 »

i definity pressed mine out about 25 years ago. i remember having the same trouble as you 4 ton and nuthin happening, i either got the circlip out or pressed the other way.cant remember which. but it was out for sure because when i pressed it back in i put it in rotated 180 deg. the steering lock hole was on the opposite side, and still is to this day. it didnt matter anyway cause it locked the steering almost straight anyway!! ive got both workshop & parts manuals showing all parts & ducati p/numbers-neither even show this shaft as a part???? maybe ill go down the cutting off path and paint with shaft in. angle grinder???
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

You can bust the cage off and then use a small, what we call a die grinder over here. Basically a thin disk cutter and carefully grind away a spot until it snaps.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

triple trees

Post by nottonight68 »

got my lower bearing off-as you said ,i busted the outer cage off. i then gently tapped the upper lip of bearing and off it came!. ill get it painted with the shaft in place.thanks for your input. :)
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

your welcome

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”