Marzocchi black

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
conti-mental
Mach 3

Update!

Post by conti-mental »

I thought I'd dig this one out of the grave for a quick resurrection.

Ruud - you're right -*!^-

I just sprayed the forks with some un-thinned 2-pack black at around 15psi (1 bar), and although it took about ten minutes to achieve a cover coat, it created just the right look.

A before/after picture.....

it only took a few years to do! :roll:

Cheers,

Andy
Craig in France
Paso 906

Marzocchi 'wrinkle' finish

Post by Craig in France »

Useful Andy - thanks.

And thanks to Ruud for the original suggestion!

Ciao

Craig
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Ruud's 750 Yellow Sport looks if it came just new out of the factory...!
He knows what he is doing!! <>
Ruud
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

paint job

Post by Ruud »

hello Conti mental,
Didn't I mention that the surface has to be sprayed in black in advance :shock:
and after that has dryed a little you can screw the pressure down to finish it with the 'little' drops. With high pressure you obtain a very little drop just like a kind of fog or damp, but with very little pressure it will spray bigger drops and that is what you need to finish it. Spray just a little bit over the surface and stop than to see if you like it. If you spray too much drops they will flow together with their neighbours :evil: and that is not the meaning of it. The drops should stay solitair or single or what you call it. :-D
Then will the special shine appear, because of the round surface of the drops which reflect the sun all together.
If you haven't build it up you can try it again.
I wish you the best of succes with the job.
What you did till now is not bad at all. What counts is if you are satisfied 8)
Ruud
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Here are some pics of NOS paint sample on lower triple. It is worth noting that the spatter pattern varies in different areas of the same piece. Also the color is more of a satin rather than gloss black. Image Image Image
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Hi Ruud,

Thanks for the info - Ironically, one of my bottom yokes did get a little glossy and it's going back into the spray booth before it goes on the bike. I'm restoring two bikes, so as the first one turned out *perfect* I'm determined to get the second coat 'spot on' (ahem... :oops: )

The NOS photos are interesting - compared with my '75ss top yoke which was the original paint, I think it's fair to say that they didn't come from the same batch!

The paint on my front end was definitely glossy - what was left of it, anyway ;) Maybe not *quite* as glossy as mine fresh from the spray booth, but I'm satisfied it's a good match.

The rear shock springs and adjusters are definitely going to be satin black though...I just need to buy some matting agent. I guess powder coating would look good, but I'm then relying on someone else to get the finish how I want it.

Looking at the factory brochure, the forks have quite a shine...

Hope to have some shots of mine the next time it stops p!$$ing down for more than 5 minutes!

Cheers,

Andy
Ruud
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ruud »

Andy,
As soon as I can I'll respond with some pictures of my homework that will give a good look on the spots. The rear shock springs had the very same paint finish as the front fork and the roundcase covers. So if you are busy with it you can do them the same time.
I'll be back soon 8)
See you later.....
Ruud
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

marzocchi black

Post by nottonight68 »

getting mine done locally in adelaide-painter calls it black leather
ill post some pics on the gallery when done-good or bad
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

Forks back from the powder coaters. NOT BAD FOR $35.00
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

I used to be a big fan of powder coat, here is a little tip: you can mask off areas you don't want coated with heavy duty duct tape. My biggest issue with the product is how do you touch up scratches? My first show car, I powder coated the entire chassis, it looked great. The stuff is very tough but it will scratch given the right circumstances. Nearly impossible to touch up without it looking even worse.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

powder was the only option available locally-no painters could do the crinkle finish & i cant paint for @#$%
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

They look pretty darned good to me <>

Can't complain about value for money either :))
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

im pretty happy with-em
$35 aus was unbelievable-most tradesman charge $60-$80 per hour,so this guy is either way out of touch or really fast :?:

steve
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Local powdercoaters could only do a wrinkle finish and then $150 as they had to get a bucket of powder in.

Mine seemed to be more spattered than wrinkled in the finish.

After a bit of messing around have a finish that looks pretty much what my tripple clamps and forks looked like defore stripping them.

Light base coat of stone and chip gaurd, (short squirts straicht at parts rather than sweeping spray).
Then coated with satin black.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

That is a pretty good job there Jon, and does look like the finish on my Mille , but the SS and SSD look more like the finish that Steve AU managed to get ,
BTW Steve can you PM me the phone number of the place you had yours done? as the finish on those fork legs looked unreal in person much better than the pictures you put up

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”