'75 900SS Blues - so to speak...

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
conti-mental
Mach 3

'75 900SS Blues - so to speak...

Post by conti-mental »

I'm restoring a '75 model 900SS, and although the silver is easy (good work, guys!) I'm still a bit lost for a match for the metallic blue on the fairing.

Any ideas?

A few years ago I bought some tank trim decals (either Spares GB or Mick Walker - not sure now), and these were a solid deep blue colour.
Although I couldn't use them 'cos they fell apart, it made me wonder what was the right colour:
The sales brochure image http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/75_900_ss.jpg
appears to show a metallic fairing and plain blue trim (a trick of the light maybe, but it's the same colour as the decals I got), but other period B&W pictures seem to concur with all the restored bikes I've seen, being metallic blue throughout.

Is this just another case of 'they're both right', or do I need to change my recreational habits?
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Update!

I just finished stripping the bodywork and stumbled across a small amount of the original blue stripe on the front mudguard, which is definitely solid, not metallic. Once I've got a match I'll post it.
I got some metallic blue for the fairing from www.oldracingspareparts.com which (apart from fairly heavy postage) worked out no more expensive than a colour match from my PPG stockist.
The closest silver turned out to be Max Meyer B083 mixing basic, i.e. pure aluminium.

Anecdote: years ago, I asked Mick Walker what colour the tank DUCATI logos should be for a '75 900SS, and he replied that they were blue. His (at that time recently published) book from which he got that information has a picture of him standing behind one at a bike show with very definitely black & white lettering. Didn't like to argue, as his book describes the '75 model as 'to some, the prettiest of them all'.
What could I say?
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

For anyone who is interested:

The mudguard stripe has 5mm outer stripes 5mm from the centre 16mm stripe.

Can anyone confirm the width of the remaining stripes, i.e., fairing, tank & tailpiece?

Cheers,

Andy
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Further update:

A colour match for the plain blue:

Max Meyer Bilux

Formula 7 0570 01
Enzianblau AU P5G

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”