Oh come on guys :-) More on 350 paint

Post your 'Body & Paint' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
desmophil
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Oh come on guys :-) More on 350 paint

Post by desmophil »

Oh come on guys I am getting desperate and at your mercy :-) Someone must have discovered the right red for my tank (see below). This is an old post with no replies so far. I emailed the factory about 6 months ago and my request was passed on down the line but have received no help with the colour so far (not that I expected they had records but a reply would have been nice). Experimenting with colours can be an expensive exercise. Below is my original post.

I am in the process of restoring a 1969 350 Mk3 D. Under 5 layers of paint I have discovered the original candy red. It is a solid (that is, non-metallic)red/clear over a silver base. I'm sure this is not news to many of you but my question is - which red? I have, in the past, seen a couple of Mark 3s with paint close to my retrieved samples and I would love to know a name and code for the correct red. One I have found that looks like it might produce a close colour is a 1991 Chrysler America colour called 'Radiant Fire'; also called 'Indy Red'. The code is KRB/PRB/QRB.

Having said that, the final result might be way off, so I would appreciate any advice from those who have gone before me.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

desmophil, any luck with the paint so far? You should be able to take a clean sample into an automotive paint store and have it scanned. Also many outfits will mix up a very small amount of paint for free, like a half pint or so, to test the color. At least thats what we do here in the states. Let us know how it worked out for you, Jordan
desmophil
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

350 paint

Post by desmophil »

Unfortunately little progress with colour. I stripped the tank and found it has been cut open 3 times in the past to repair dents (and badly). It had a lot of filler (bog) in it. Obviously the sides must be perfect for the chroming so progress is slow.

Regarding computer matching the colour. Although it is advertised that the paint is matched exactly a couple of local paint places told me that the computer just matches the colour to the nearest existing colour code in their range. I have had results in the past that support this view.

Anyway - the process continues.

btw - the best examples I have found of the colour are on the side covers. However, since discovering that the tank has been rechromed in the past I now doubt the authenticity of the colour.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Phil, it sounds like you will have to go with your best judgement and personal taste regarding a color match.  As you may know paint shades had quite a bit of varience as quality control was not what it is today.  Even new cars today have slightly different shades of the same paint code depending on factory location and paint batch. These variations have been tracked for vehicles over the last 10 years or so and can be identified through VIN numbers. Unfortunately our Italian friends were not that sophisticated 40 years ago.

I know it sucks but sometimes close is as good as it gets.

Jordan
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Phil,
I restored a 1968 250 Twinfiller Mk3 a while ago and have a photo of it that I can e-mail to you to see if you like the red. I would have to go back to my painter to get the exact red but it is a Ford colour. I have forwarded the photo to Steve so it may appear some time in the future on this site. I am just up the road at Bundy.
Ian
JamesT
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by JamesT »

Desmophil,

I have a pair of original cherry red mark 3 fenders in relatively good condition here that I am thinking of selling.

They would be great for a paint match but I guess you've finished the resto by now..

If you need them they are here in France...!
1959 200 Elite under Construction
desmophil
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Found a colour match

Post by desmophil »

It turned out simple in the end but it required a lot of searching and experimentation.

A near perfect match to the original red on my 1969 350MK3D is -
5 coats of the Color Horizons Candy Apple Red over a medium silver metallic. Just follow the manufacture's instructions.

Candy paint uses a dye rather than a pigment and that is what gives it the translucent appearance. If I had a digital camera I would post some pics.
desmophil
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

pics of final colour

Post by desmophil »

Follow this link to get an idea of the final colour of the 350 - or check out the Singles Gallery.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/phillipis/

Return to “Body, Paint & Rubber Shop”