Irridium spark plugs

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Irridium spark plugs

Post by Peter Mille »

Anybody tried (NGK) Irridium spark plugs in their Bevel?
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Irridium spark plugs

Post by Craig in France »

Yeah, Peter, I did a few years back - the bike is a SSD, btw, so it might be different with your Mille.

I tried a pair of NGK 3419 BR6HIX. I didn't stick with them. I had the feeling that the bike didn't run as 'clean' as with standard plugs. And, since the plugs aren't difficult to get to, I went back to regular B6HS.

I use iridiums in my Laverda Formula, however - and they work fine. Which is just as well, 'cos those plugs are hard to get to :( .

Ciao

Craig
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

OK, thanks.
I bought NGK BPR7HIX, instead of the NGK BPR7HS that was suggested by the manufacturer of the Sachse ignition that is on my Mille since this summer.
I have put the plugs in, but haven't started the bike yet...
Btw, those NGK Irridium are available at www.mister-auto.nl, and they are a France based company, so you would be able to buy them there, I guess..
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The Iridium plugs are good if you have upgraded the ignition system. They have a lower firing voltage when they are clean but they do require a higher output ign. system to keep them clean as the center electrode is smaller than regular plugs. The errant blobs of uncombustibles that float around in old bevel engines can smother the fine wire if the voltage isn't up to snuff. The extended tip does help [ the P in the plug number] by being deeper in the chamber and more exposed during combustion.
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

I've started the Mille today, no change in behavior, but....cold idling has improved a lot!
In the past, with original Bosch ignition, and "normal"plugs, cold idling was a pain. but that is all gone now, after releasing the choke lever, the engine was idling perfect!

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”