Advice on an oil leak 1979 900 Replica

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Blacklightning
Diana

Advice on an oil leak 1979 900 Replica

Post by Blacklightning »

Evening All,

I awoke number 146 from 6 month slumbers with a ride today. I am losing a little oil from the front cylinder bevel tube. It's dropping/spraying onto the exhaust header pipe. She was oil tight post build and for 4000 miles. I'm guessing a seal has dried out a bit. Any advice on things to try beyond running her for a hundred miles to see if it stops?

Stuart
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Advice on an oil leak 1979 900 Replica

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Stuart,

This is a real 'get-over', and if anyone asks, I'll deny any knowedge of it :-D . But ...

John Wittmann had a trick for dealing with this on the singles, so I don't see why it shouldn't apply to a twin. Try a thin smear of clear silicone around the tube where it enters the bearing holders, top and bottom.

Otherwise, it's head off and change the O-rings, I fear ... :evil:

Blacklightning
Diana

Post by Blacklightning »

Hi Craig,
You know, I thought about that myself..... :idea: :idea: :idea:

So it's gotta be worth a try.....

Coz the alternatives a bit of a pain isn't it.

Cheers for that.

Stuart
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Stuart, Before you smear silicone everywhere [messy] try turning the tubes back and forth a bit. I've done this on my bevels before and it has worked. I used a pair of soft jawed pliers [plumbing pliers if I remember] that I ground thinner to grip the tube . Alternatively I think a pair of hose gripper pliers [look like needle nosed but the ends are bowed out to form a circle] with a strip of rubber or leather would work better as they are thinner. I suspect the o rings shrink and pull away from the tube and the movement re seats them.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

wdietz186 wrote:Stuart, Before you smear silicone everywhere [messy] try turning the tubes back and forth a bit. <snip>
"Good thinking, Batman ..." :-D
Blacklightning
Diana

Post by Blacklightning »

Many thanks I'll try that first. I'll give it all a good clean down and rotate, then go for a ride.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll keep you posted. :-D

Stuart

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”