Mhr mille stuck in gear, not defect shifter spring..

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Malix
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Mhr mille stuck in gear, not defect shifter spring..

Post by Malix »

When taking off in first gear after a stop in traffic, I could not get the 2. gear or neutral..limped back home in 1 gear and was convinced the shifter spring had broken again. ( put a new in a couple of years ago.) When preparing to dismantle the cluch I noticed there was oil at front of the rear mudguard.
Then I discovered that the screw (allen head) on top/rear of engine block was almost out of the hole and was passing oil. When looking at the parts drawing the screw was holding a spring and a steelball going into the gearselector shaft. After moving the selectorcshaft by hand I managed to "reenter" the ball back onto the shaft and could retighten the screw and this fixed the problem and was able to use the gearbox as normal.. well not as smooth as it used to be, now I need to be more firm when gearing up to avoid feeling resistance. Now after all this explanation finally comes the questions:

What is the function of the mentioned spring/ball assembly? is it just to stabilize the selector drum?
Is there a setup/adjustment required ? now the allen screw is screwed fully in giving maximum compression on the spring/ball, does not make sense to me that there is any other way, but..
As far as I can see everything else in the shifter mechanism looks to be in perfect order..but again maybe I am missing something..
Cheers Ove
Regards
Ove Amaliksen

Ducati MHR mille 1985
Moto Guzzi T-3 California 1977
Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring 2013
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Mhr mille stuck in gear, not defect shifter spring..

Post by wdietz186 »

From looking at the parts diagram in the Mille book on this site it seems the shift drum detent ball/spring holder is what unscrewed. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment mechanism. Your harder shifting might be due to the detent spring being fully compressed now that the bolt is fully screwed in putting more pressure on the ball and the shift drum. If it is really bothersome you might try and find a lighter spring that would fit.
Malix
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Mhr mille stuck in gear, not defect shifter spring..

Post by Malix »

Thanks, Yes one might think it shifts harder due to harder pressure on the drum, however the existing spring ball assembly is the original one and maybe 30 years should make it weaker..I will remove the assembly all together and inspect every part in detail, maybe the ball is worn..
But thanks for the tip, maybe I will end up trying this.
Cheers Ove
Regards
Ove Amaliksen

Ducati MHR mille 1985
Moto Guzzi T-3 California 1977
Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring 2013

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”