Anything I should do?

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
mphayes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Anything I should do?

Post by mphayes »

Currently working on 83 hailwood. Had low compression on front cylinder.
While investigating starter went out. Rebuilt(thanks for info Steve). Back to low compression issue.
Lot's of advice on what to check 1st. But had 180 #comp on back cylinder and 129 # on front.
Turned out to be exhaust valve and leaking head right behing exhasut pipe on front one. All is under control but before closing just wondering about improving dry clutch?
It didn't seem to have much in way of adjusting before opening. Anything to be done?

Sorry it got wordy but
Thanks for reading.....m
1978 Darmah
1984 Hailwood
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Anything I should do?

Post by Craig in France »

Sorry, but can you please clarify: is this your question?
mphayes wrote: ... just wondering about improving dry clutch? It didn't seem to have much in way of adjusting before opening. Anything to be done?
This is a hydraulically operated clutch, yes? I'm not clear as to what exactly you want to - or feel you should be able to - adjust ... :?

Ciao

Craig
mphayes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mphayes »

Yes trying to find out if I can get more free play? so I can make engagement sooner on clutch lever
I bought new levers as old one was bunged up. But clutch works better with old lever that has more wear on contact point on perch.
I see there is a lock nut with set screw inclutch pack and wanted to ask before messing with it.
Thanks for reply and any advice.
m
1978 Darmah
1984 Hailwood
Craig in France
Paso 906

mphayes wrote: I see there is a lock nut with set screw in clutch pack and wanted to ask before messing with it.
Are you talking about the screw that goes thru the centre of the pressure plate, as shown inside the red box here?

If yes ...

This screw is the final component in the sequence of clutch release rods and is there to allow for adjusting any minor discrepancies/wear in the push rod chain. So yes, you can try adjusting it. IME, however, you are only 'adjusting' for more or less clutch slip or drag - it doesn't adjust the freeplay at the lever.

BUT ...
What I don't understand is that, if you've got a hydraulic clutch, it shouldn't be there .... :shock: . Instead, your clutch should look like this, with no screw thru the centre of the pressure plate:

But maybe I'm missing something? :shock: :?
mphayes wrote:Trying to find out if I can get more free play, so I can make engagement sooner on clutch lever
Are you saying that your lever is too far away from the piston in the master cylinder? To adjust for this, your clutch lever should have a little grub screw which enables you to move the lever in or out from the piston.

If this doesn't work, then I would suspect a sticking piston in either the master or the slave cylinder. When was the last time the fluid was changed?

Ciao

Craig
mphayes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mphayes »

First thanks again for reply.
I do have the hydralic clutch
The clutch pack on this bike also appears to have a lock nut and screw and I wonder if this could be used to make any adjustment. 2nd diagram # 48 and 49

Trying to be clearer about my issue.
Old clutch lever works better than new replacement. Both levers are the same. Due to wear on contact point of old lever the plunger on master cyclinder
acutually seems to release clutch and disengage it much better. But I don't "recall" there being a screw on lever for this.
I'm sorry for any or more confusion.

The bike is not at my home so going out to look isn't easy at this point.
I have bleed the clutch but I have not changed fluid. I will do so!
When possible will get picture of set up

Thanks for your help......m

PS I had 3 Darmahs down to 1 and always wanted this bike but my learning curve on this one has been less than fun.
1978 Darmah
1984 Hailwood
Craig in France
Paso 906

mphayes wrote:The clutch pack on this bike also appears to have a lock nut and screw and I wonder if this could be used to make any adjustment. 2nd diagram # 48 and 49.
Err, no - those are the clutch spring retaining screws :shock: :shock: .

6 off. No adjustment. Do 'em tight, up and leave alone.
mphayes wrote:Old clutch lever works better than new replacement. Both levers are the same. Due to wear on contact point of old lever the plunger on master cyclinder acutually seems to release clutch and disengage it much better. But I don't "recall" there being a screw on lever for this.
Sounds like you may have the wrong lever(s) - ? As I said, there should be an screw in the lever which allows some adjustment of its position and action. (It works by moving the lever close to/further away from the bar. I suspect the wear on the old lever is bringing the lever closer to the bar, and thereby making the clutch release quicker and more positive).*

Here'a composite photo that may help. I'm pretty sure Steve sells these levers - have a look.

* Btw, the wear that you describe on the lever is quite unusual. Shouldn't happen. Something's not right/ hasn't been right ...
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yes I have black levers for the large round master cylinders

Smooth https://store.bevelheaven.com/brake-rel ... ound-resv/

Dogleg https://store.bevelheaven.com/brake-rel ... ound-resv/
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
mphayes
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by mphayes »

Thanks for advise. My plan is to change out fluid, look into lever issue.
I do appreciate your help and will take all advise to heart.

m
1978 Darmah
1984 Hailwood

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”