I think I am in love................

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Blacklightning
Diana

I think I am in love................

Post by Blacklightning »

Afternoon all,

So after 18 months we wtarted Number 146 yesterday (my goodness she sounds delicious) and after a little fettling off to the MOT station, pass.

Fairing on, 60 miles - my first ride on a bevel twin ever. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

What a motorcycle, superb, fantastic.

OK, so I'm only at running in speeds (what should they be exactly?) but the handling and road holding are so lovely.

The sound is so awesome.

The look and feel so exciting.

My goodness - what a worthwhile wait and what a fantastic senory experience. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

60 miles done and only 5 oil changes and 1940 miles to go till I shout "run in".

So there we go, thanks to all who have helped with advice so far.

I'm sure there will be loads more questions as I ride her.

Stuart
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: I think I am in love................

Post by Peter Mille »

eh....you drive what...??? :?
Pictures maybe...?? :vroom:
Blacklightning
Diana

Post by Blacklightning »

Ducati 900 Replica 1979 Number 146.

Later to become the Mike Hailwood Replica

Apologies Peter.

Ooops.

I would dearly love to put some pictures on but sorry - have tried pictures two or three times with no luck, I don't use a remote hosting service and when I tried to upload smaller files sizes within the limits permitted by the site I then got an error message on the dimensions of the photos - frustrating I know but I guess I am not technically competent.

Again, apologies - no confusion intended.

Must have got carried away in the enthusiasm of it all......

Stuart
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Post by Steve Foster »

Congratulations Stuart. I think we all understand your feelings - most of us bevel owners are in long term relationships now. But I am a bit puzzled by the "5 oil changes and 1940 miles". Seems somewhat excessive, but there are so many variables in terms of oil types and running-in strategies.
OK, so I'm only at running in speeds (what should they be exactly?)

There was a 900 Replica supplement to the 750SS and 900SS Owners Manual but it didn't have any information about running in, not surprising given the identical engines. The 750SS and 900SS Owners Manual stated that during the first 1500 km (930 miles):
To get the best engine running-in, it is absolutely necessary that the rev counter never exceed 6,000 R.P.M. (750/SS) and 5,500 R.P.M. (900/SS)."
It also recommends an oil and filter change at 1000km (620 miles), and limiting engine speed to 6,500 rpm from 1500km until 3000km, when "the engine can be considered as fully run-in".

Oils have come a long way since this advice was published, and much has been learned about running-in strategies, but procedures for modern low-tolerance engines are not necessarily appropriate for these older engines. There are others who are are better informed than me about this. What I can say, however, is that I followed the instructions in my owner's manual religiously about running in, oil grade and oil change intervals, and have been rewarded with 90,000kms of reliable service from my engine with only minor maintenance (bore hones, new rings, new valves) required.
All the best for a long and happy relationship.
Steve.
1974 Ducati 750 GT

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”