How to strip a Velglia Speedo Drive for MHR

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Blacklightning
Diana

How to strip a Velglia Speedo Drive for MHR

Post by Blacklightning »

Evening All,

I've got a 1979 Ducati 900 Replica that I am restoring and am down to preparing the final few bits and pieces before reassembly.

Question - how to strip the Veglia speedo drive from the front wheel. I have taken the spring steel wire circle off, then the wheel drive plate and that is as far as it goes. I imagine that somehow the brass screwed section needs to come off to allow the gear to come out which should then free off the central section to disengage. But I can't see how to do that, and also the metal casing appears to have a flat deformed into it to lock the brass section in place.

I can't see how the central ring/drive gear comes out otherwise without the brass section coming off.

Reason to strip is to clean it thoroughly and then pack with fresh grease.

Thanks

Stuart
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: How to strip a Velglia Speedo Drive for MHR

Post by BevHevSteve »

just dip in diesel fuel to clean then use a thick OIL.......
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Blacklightning
Diana

Post by Blacklightning »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, I did after posting what I should have done before and read another post where you talked about pushing the ball down and filling with oil.

So I cleaned it well using brake cleaner and an air line, then used a syringe and needle to fill with oil once I had depressed the steel ball.

Job done, one more part ready to go into the reassemble pile.

The pile of parts awaiting attention is getting very small now, I am short a little plastic cover for the fuse box - guess those are close to unobtaiable as most folks will have damaged one.....

I've repaired the ball end on the dog leg clutch lever and sprayed satin - very pleased with how that has come up.

I need to clean up and paint the bosch horn I bought (the voxibell on it turned out to be from a 750s)

The speedo and rev counter are in the process of having the cases rubbed down for painting.

Then, I think I am done, just the small task of putting it all back together again...

But all the bits are clean, shiny, oiled and set to go. The bolts have been bright zinc plated so should be a much nicer job that the strip - boy was it filthy and corroded - especially considering it is only 33 years old and has only 20,000 miles on the clock.

Looking forward to the first ride already. *-*

Thanks again Steve.

Stuart
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Blacklightning wrote:I imagine that somehow the brass screwed section needs to come off ... (but) the metal casing appears to have a flat deformed into it to lock the brass section in place.
Hi Stuart,

Just for the record. Best not to disturb this. The alloy of the casing breaks up very readily ... and then you've got a whole new set of problems about how to fix the brass drive :doh:

Cleaned 'as good as' and then re-oiled, as you've done, should be fine.

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”