Dropped valve seat

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Kickaha
Diana

Dropped valve seat

Post by Kickaha »

Well I haven't got the head off yet as the bike is still 350km and a ferry crossing away but I'm picking that's what has happened on the front head

I have since been told by two people that it isn't uncommon and generally it is more likely while riding in the rain as the front head gets way more cooling?

The bike started sounding slightly different but didn't loose any power and as it was wet I carried on to the next town 30km down the road, by this time the rain had stopped and as the revs dropped when I turned a slow corner in a 50km zone there was a "clunk" I got the clutch in straight away

Tried the starter and it locked solid, could pull the bike back and it would do a revolution then lock up, pulled the front plug and it's munted

I've dropped valves before and they made a lot more noise so I'm picking it's the seat?
Eat Right
Stay fit
Die anyway
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

Kick,

Have you got the head off that thing yet ? interested to know what it was?

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
Kickaha
Diana

Post by Kickaha »

rwhc80 wrote:Kick,

Have you got the head off that thing yet ? interested to know what it was?

Cheers
Rick
Got it apart tonight

The head had come off the valve and embedded itself in the head after punching a hole through the piston

looks like the valves are two piece as the head had come off very clean

So I'm up for a full top end rebuild which will include replacing all the valves
Eat Right
Stay fit
Die anyway

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”