Halp with identifying S2 and a heap of other questions.

If you need technical information or help with your late dry clutch Ducati S2, MHR 900 or Mille engine - post your FAQs, comments & questions here.
Jon
Diana

Halp with identifying S2 and a heap of other questions.

Post by Jon »

Hi
Have just got an S2 with the intentions of restoring it, the numbers are;
frame number is DM860SS*092695*,
another number on the frame DGM13715OM
Engine number is 907543DM850
It was complied in Australia 05/83

Is there any way I can tell if that is the original engine for that frame? (needs rebuilding)

What is the the colour code/name for the frame, is there a powder coat available that matches the original frame colour?

It has a dual read speedo showing 72125, does this read Km or miles?

Is there a book that I can get that tells what finish is on what components eg gloss black, satin black, zinc, chrome ect?

What workshop manual covers this bike?
I can't seem to find a 900 s2 manual, I have tracked down an original 860 GT-GTs workshop manual and an original "supplement to 860 GT/GTS workshop manual" that covers 900SD, 750SS, 900s, Desmo.
I have downloaded an S2 parts manual.

Any other relavent info would be great.

thanks
jon
Craig in France
Paso 906

S2 questions

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Jon,

Answers to some at least of this info is available by looking at Steve's data on BevelHeaven. But, to help you on your way ...

1. The DGM number is the homologation number, i.e. the type approval, issued by the Italian "Direzione Generale per la Motorizzazione " for the frame.

(Btw, the "DM" in the frame and engine numbers stands for Ducati Meccanica).

2. Engine and frame numbers never match with Ducati. I understand this is because the frame numbers were put on by the manufacturer, Verlicchi, before being sent to Ducati. That said, yours seem to be about right as there is a bike on Steve's/Robert Miller's register with engine number 907465 and frame number 092711.

3. For books:
a) You need to get one of Ian Falloon's books, most specifically "The Ducati Bible: 860, 900 and Mille".

b) I can't remember now whether there was ever an S2-specific workshop manual, but it's basically the MHR engine, so this is the workshop manual you need - not the 860 which is quite different. I see Steve has the 1982 MHR manual on the site.

c) There was an S2 owner's handbook - photo copy from here, http://www.aave.it/lista.asp?pippo=Ducati, amongst others.

4. The S2 came both with & without a kick-start. According to Ian, from the engine number, yours should be electric start only. But from the frame number, kick-start ... ?! In this context, it's worth heeding Ian's words -"These were some of the most variable machines in specification ever to emanate from Bologna ..."!

5. Frame colour: S2s came in either red with black body work; or black with bronze body work. Which is yours? I suspect, however, you'll be unlikely to find a 'from-the-era' paint reference number.

6. KM or mileage readout: (This is something I should be able to remember without looking, but my brain's gone soft so I may be wrong. In which case, someone is sure to correct me!)

If the kilometres/hour are marked round the outer ring, the mileometer is in kms too.

HTH

Craig
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Hi Craig

Thanks for that.

2. Is there any way to find out if it is the right engine/frame combination or are the original records not that good/unobtainable?

3. Have Ian's Bible on order at local bookshop, most of the MHR/S2 stuff I can find is for the Mille engine, you don't think the "supplement to 860 GT/GTS workshop manual" that covers 900SD, 750SS, 900s, Desmo will be right?

4. My bike is Elctric start only.

5. Red frame with black body work, I will go to the local powder coaters and try and match a colour with an unfaded section, probably inside of air cleaner or similar.

6. The outer speedo ring is km/h so I guess the odometer is in kms as well.

Thanks for your help.
jon
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Jon

1. I don't know if the original records still survive. You could try contacting Livio Lodi at the museum, [email protected]., but whether you'll get a reply or not, I don't know - he's a great guy, but a busy man!

2. As to the workshop manual, all I can say is that the S2 engine is different in a number of important respects to the 860. So whether the Supplement you have will cover it adequately, who knows? And, as you can download a more 'correct' manual from Bevelheaven, I know which I would use!

(The Mille engine is, as you suggest, a quite different kettle of fish!).

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Squarecase Dry Clutch Engines > S2, MHR, 'Mille'”